During the Pitru Paksha period, there are some rules that should be followed.
Do’s during the Pitru Paksha
During the Pitru Paksha period one should perform fallowing things.
- Must perform offering food and Tarpan rituals.
- Perform Dana (charity).
- Worshiping the deit.
- Daily prayers like Sandhya and japa.
- Fasting on Ekadashi.
- Agni Hotram (Havan/ Homa).
Don’ts during the Pitru Paksha
Fallowing things are strictly prohibited during the Pitru Paksha
- consuming any meat, alcohol and other intoxicants.
- eating onion, garlic, outside food, processed foods, drumstick, etc.
- buying and wearing new clothes.
- getting a hair-cut.
- performing weddings, Katha and Jhunda, Sacred thread ceremonies, and one cannot move into a new house.
- starting a new job.
- starting a new business venture.
Reading Garuda Puraanam, Nachiketa story and Ganga Avataranam considered auspicious during this time.